Monday, April 5, 2010

That Was FUN!

My sons and one significant other finally came to visit their ol' mom in Reynosa.  On the second night here we had a barbecue party complete with a live band.  Judging by the mess I cleaned up the morning after, a good time was had by all.   Even the 'gun' incident didn't spoil the good time.  The drummer ran an errand and when he parked in front of the house, another car pulled up with a group of gangsters and they put a gun to his head. Apparently they were satisfied he was just an inebriated party boy and nothing happened and the party went on. I'm going to paraphrase a favorite line of my friend Lindy... I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Since Reynosa isn't exactly a party town without guns, we decided to get out of this shithole.  Sorry for the bad language which I don't normally use, but I just can't come up with a more appropriate word for this town right now. We hopped an Omnibus and headed for Mexico City.  As soon as we landed at the north bus station, we hopped another bus and went to the pyramids in Teotihuacan.  Here's the evidence that we made it to the top of the sun pyramid.  Yes, I made it to the top too. Someone had to take the photo.

Back in Mexico City, I met a fellow blogger Jessica and her beautiful family.  We ate at a local tianguis and the food was awesome.  Then we rented a car and took off for Acapulco.  Acapulco is expensive.  Acapulco is FUN.  We found an expensive but very nice hotel called Costa Azul.  It is about 6 blocks off the beach.  I'd hate to see what the hotels on the beach cost.   After an afternoon of sun, beach, waves, and beer, we went back to the hotel to clean up and find the night life.  We met the best taxi driver in Acapulco named Alex and he took us to Carlos & Charlie's, an excellent choice.  Not cheap, but it sure was FUN.  The waiters like to mess with the customers and they like to dance for your entertainment.  They like to make YOU dance for their entertainment.  And the clown who will make body parts and appendages for you was hilarious.  I can't wait to save up and go to Acapulco again.  Alex, will you be my driver again?  You are the best!

We drove (or should I say snailed) our way back to Mexico City again.  Apparently all the Chilangos went to Acapulco for the weekend and the traffic was bumper-to-bumper on the way back.  We got back late, had dinner with Jessica and Guillermo and then took off via the Metro to the bus station.  And here we are back in nasty Reynosa where the gun battles continue daily.  Apparently the police are afraid of any buses coming to Reynosa because we were stopped and checked our bus several times.  The last federal policeman that entered our bus was very grumpy.  I guess I wouldn't be too pleasant if I walked in his shoes.

The kids leave tomorrow.  They had a great time.  I had a great time.  I am going to miss them. I already miss Acapulco.

6 comments:

  1. You pulled an road trip like we do! You go gringa! Cant wait to hear all about it! Glad you made it back safe and sound and the kiddos had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! One day, I hope to be just as adventurous as you. :)

    Glad you had a wonderful time with your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live in Acapulco! Carlos and Charlie's was the place to be. Lots of memories:) Glad you had a great time with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun, glad you got some visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your blog makes me miss Mexico!

    I have pics of me at Teotihuacan too! My husband & I met in the airport on the way to MX for a study abroad trip to Cuernavaca! It was awesome & we have future hopes to move there!

    I'm a new follower & can't wait to keep reading about Mexico! My husband & I always say that we are gringos by birth but Mexicanos at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all fools, traveling and enabling the corrupt shit hole country Mexico. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete