Thursday, March 22, 2012

Karma

I've been seeing a lot of people talk about karma lately.  I've been living in the land of karma myself since last November.  Now I've hit the jackpot of karma-ness.  I am working as a long-term substitute teacher.  I'm teaching Spanish. It's a Catholic high school.  And I love it.

Anyone who knows me from my Mexico days will probably not believe it.  I don't believe it myself.  All I can say is it different here in Iowa, a landlocked state no where near Mexico.  If I tried to be a Spanish teacher anywhere near the border with my gringa accent, I would be laughed out of town.  But here in Iowa, no problema. In fact, good luck finding a qualified Spanish teacher here more than 3/4 of the way through the school year.  Iowa is a little more strict on licensing substitute teachers with most districts requiring a degree and completion of a teacher's education program.  Texas only requires a high school diploma!

I have 120 Spanish II students. I can keep 2 steps ahead of them.  I also have the only Spanish AP class, all seniors and brilliant.  Keeping them challenged is my challenge. Also, a prayer is led at the beginning of each class.  Public schools should try it (nondenominational, of course). It gets the students settled and focused to begin the class.  And it is helping me too. Since my brother-in-law died, I have been too angry.  The anger is slowly deflating like a balloon leftover from a party. Soon I am going to throw the balloon out.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on the teaching job Rita!! I am glad that anger is leaving you-those two babies will keep your smile up :) karma bit him in the ass...but you get to soak up the rewards! I think maybe you weren't supposed to be down there anymore...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I am glad you are doing well.
    None of my Spanish teachers were native speakers until I went to college. My brother came home once with a Spanish lesson that was incorrect. When my mom took the teacher to task, he got all pompous and told her "I am teaching Catellano". To which my mom replied,"Just what do you think I learned in school? All my teachers were from Spain!". She went to a Catholic school run by a Spanish teaching order and got a much better education than I ever did.
    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe a Catholic education is a quality education. No real discipline problems like public schools, mainly because bad behavior is not tolerated.

      Delete
  3. Good for you Rita, glad your anger is defusing I wish mine was with my husband leaving!!! Seriously, I'm happy you are enjoying your job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karol. I've been wondering how you've been. We must catch up.

      Delete
  4. I'm happy for you getting a job you like! Yeah!! Karma likes to keep it interesting right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the job. The students are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. I would have never dreamed of being Spanish teacher. Si, se puede!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the new job Rita. Now you have some good karma rolling your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only until the end of the school year, but I bet I will be working somewhere full time by August.

      Delete