Saturday, March 20, 2010

I Hope This School Isn't Teaching English Like This!

I was checking around on the internet for schools. I came across this English translation for a certain school's website that promotes their bilingual education.  Even though I am an English teacher, I am not the grammar and spelling police.  I've been known to end a sentence with a preposition.  Example: "I don't know where it's at."  I'm always telling Miss Daisy Dog to go lay down.  For you grammatical-challenged people I am suppose to yell at my dog to go LIE down.  Lay in the present tense is for placing objects some place.  Lie in the present tense is for a resting or reclining position, or the fib you tell your spouse that you didn't spend too much on the dress.  I have problems spelling certain words. Occured? Occurred?  Ocurred?  How about necesary, or is it neccesary. Hmm, that doesn't seem right. It must be necessary?  Cementery or cementary? Well, you get the idea.  I think all of us have mental blocks on how to spell some words.

However, this particular website promoting their education and bilingual program is just awful.  I can usually tell when someone has thrown a paper into an online translation program, but I am not sure about this one. I think someone may have actually written it.  I don't think a translation program can spell this bad. I hope the person who wrote it is not an English instructor at the school.  Read it and weep.

http://www.norcerod.edu.mx/pagNuesInst_i.htm

5 comments:

  1. WOW! That's REALLY bad............

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was pretty horrible, but so funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting it on my site yesterday... still brings me to tears. (laughter or sadness???)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...im not sure this is where i would send my kid...but you said it's a good school? Geez.....what a awful translation job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha - that was GREAT :)

    thanks for the good laugh(s)

    ReplyDelete